NOTE: We sold Hydroquest in Sydney, Australia, in March 2014!
HYDROQUEST is a 1986 Beneteau First 405. When we bought her in December 2011 she was in Guaymas, Sonora, Mexico – a great location for us to start our trip. We’d been looking seriously for a boat for a few months and she ticked all of our boxes: strong hull, fast design, well equipped, 2 cabins, swim platform, well maintained engine, and within our price and location range.
We made a trip to Guaymas/San Carlos in November 2011 to see her. We spent 48 hours travelling (plane, bus, car) and were in the area for less than 24 hours. But, we were glad we got to see her as it gave us confidence in the purchase and a chance to see the area.
Hydroquest has since sailed us over 10,000 nautical miles. She was the perfect boat for our 2013 South Pacific crossing – fast, sleek, and comfortable. Her systems have been well maintained and breakage for the whole year was limited to a winch handle and a halyard!
She is a beautiful boat.
- Built: Chantiers Beneteau, St. Hilaire de Riez, France
- LOA: 39.3′, Beam: 13′, Draft: 7.2′ (Actual LOA is about 42′ – including the added swim platform)
- Hull material: moulded fibreglass
- Keel: cast iron fin keel
- Main engine: Perkins 4-108 – 50HP, Diesel
- Fuel capacity: 35 gallons
- Water capacity: 130 gallons
Here are photos taken in Sydney Harbour in January 2014: